Health and Safety Representation 5N1451
QQI Level 5 (Minor) Award
Safety Representation is a 4-day QQI Certified course.
Guidance from the Health and Safety Authority recommends a minimum standard of training for workplace Safety Representatives.
Who is it for?
This course is designed for both worker and manager safety representatives and safety committee members.
- This programme of learning suggests how consultation on safety, health and welfare issues should be undertaken between employer and employees generally and between the employer and the safety representative(s) chosen by the employees.
- Key Irish health and safety legislation, codes of practice and guidance
- How criminal and civil law functions to protect employees
- The powers of the key state agency with responsibility for health and safety
- The role, rights and functions of the safety representative and the safety committee; the duties of the employer and the employee
- Content of The Safety Statement
- Key concepts in health and safety, problem solving and sourcing information
- Hazard identification, risk assessment requirements and workplace control measures
- Procedure development
- Occupational health, health promotion and psychosocial hazards
- Accident causation, investigation, documentation, reporting and future prevention strategy
- Strategies for workplace inspection, communication and promotion of workplace safety culture
Delivery: The course includes both theory and practical exercises.
Modular format with informal discussions, a workshop and group work.
Materials: Participants will receive a training pack and e-resources.
Tutors: Our instructors are well qualified and experienced: they are health and safety professionals who can teach.
We pride ourselves, since 1988, of training health and safety professionals who contribute everyday to make Irish workplaces safer.
Assessment: Assessment will include a written exam and a skill demonstration.
Preferred entry level and special requirements:
- To access programmes leading to this award the learner should have completed a Level 4 Further Education and Training QQI Certificate or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) at L5 Upper Intermediate to Advanced.
- The programme is suited to the adult learner with workplace experience.
- Learners are volunteers, elected by their peers to represent their fellow workers in discussions with employers on matters relating to health and safety.
- The position is supported in legislation through required training and the provision of certain rights; there is no legal accountability associated with the role.
- Learners represent all industrial, service, public and private sectors and have a variety of educational achievements and skills.
- Learners are encouraged to share their wealth of experience through classroom discussions and debate.