Work-related road deaths reports

Work-related road deaths reports

A new report published by the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) has found that one in four road deaths are work related. Of the 833 road deaths in Ireland between 2008 and 2011, 193 (23%) were linked to work.

IOSH’s Irish study saw researchers from UCD analyse coroner records on road traffic fatalities in Ireland over the four-year period from 2008 to 2011.

The coroner files included a wealth of information – in postmortem reports, toxicology reports, police reports, depositions and witness statements.

The researchers identified three key groups at risk from work-related road fatalities: those driving for work; those who work on the side of the road; and non-workers or bystanders whose deaths are associated with a work-related driving activity.

Of the 193 deaths, 85 per cent were bystanders, while the remaining 15 per cent were of workers themselves.