05 Feb HSA Programme of Work
The Health and Safety Authority (HSA) has published its Programme of Work 2020. As this is the second year of the HSA’s Strategy Statement for 2019-21, this Programme of Work links in with some of the strategy goals.
The five strategic priorities which will direct the HSA’s activity for the period 2019-2 has been outlined as follows:
- Increase focus on compliance through risk based inspection and enforcement (Regulate)
- Support, educate and raise awareness to prevent accidents, injuries and ill health (Promote)
- Grow the national accreditation service to enable and support enterprises and public services (Accredit)
- Partner and collaborate in support of healthy, safe and productive lives and enterprises (Influence)
- Improve the way we work through people, processes and technology (How we work)
A brief overview of some of the key elements of the HSA’s Programme of Work 2020:
- Priority sectors remain agriculture, construction and health and social care. The key areas that the HSA will focus its strategies of promotion, prevention and enforcement activities are as follows:
- Construction: working at height; work related vehicle safety; occupational health
- Agriculture: animal handling; working at height; work related vehicle safety
- Health and Social care: work relate violence and aggression; manual handling; slips, trips and falls
- Docks and Transport Sector: Following high levels of fatalities in Irish docks and the wider transport sector in 2018 and 2019, the HSA will run campaigns addressing work related vehicle safety and load securing as well as general health and safety management.
- Business and Enterprise Support to be provided through the provision of online services and tools such as BeSMART.ie, HSAlearning.ie, WorkPositive.ie and guidance and information documents.
- Publication of the national accreditation strategy and its implementation.
- To review and update guidance on employees with disabilities and to provide support and advice for the changing world of work, particularly for the ageing workforce.
The HSA outlines its plans and strategy in greater detail in its publication “Programme of Work 2020“. The Strategic priorities are listed and outlined in terms of Strategic Goals and Key Actions.