18 Jan HSA Programme of Work 2021
The HSA has released its Programme of Work for 2021. This is the third and final year for implementation of the HSA’s Strategy Statement for 2019–21.COVD-19, Brexit and Priority Sectors (agriculture, construction and health and social care) are listed among the HSA’s main areas of focus for 2021.
Some of the key elements of the Programme of Work 2021 include:
- Legislation: Complete legislative development process for the Board proposal to amend the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (General Application) (Amendment) (No. 3) Regulations 2016 to introduce a requirement for employers to report cases of COVID-19 that are attributable to work activity to the Authority.
- Inspections: Undertake inspections and investigations in key sectors impacted by the Biological Agents Regulations and Code of Practice. Continue checking compliance against the COVID-19 Work Safely Protocol.
- Promotion: The HSA will continue to support employers and employees with guidance, advice and supports, with a particular emphasis on supports to address ergonomic and psychosocial hazards, in response to the unprecedented number of people working from home as a result of COVID-19.
- Recruitment: Undertake an intensive recruitment campaign to rapidly increase the number of field and policy inspectors available to the Authority
Other key actions and priorities outlined for 2021 include:
- Health and Social Care: The completion of a national inspection programme in health and social care settings with a focus on compliance with occupational health and safety requirements for the protection of employees from exposure to COVID-19 in the workplace.
- Construction: Continue to monitor compliance with OSH Regulations and complete a programme of occupational health inspections in relation to musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs) and carcinogens.
- Agriculture: Complete three proactive inspection campaigns covering high risks on farms covering:
- livestock handling,
- tractor and farm machinery operations and maintenance, and
- construction of, and the maintenance of, farm buildings.
- Complete legislative development process for the update of the Code of Practice for Industrial Lift Trucks.
- Update the Code of Practice for the Chemical Agent & Carcinogens Regulations to include occupational exposure limit values from the 5th EU Indicative list (EU) 2019/1831.
- Remote working: Support DETE in the development and implementation of a National Remote Working Strategy under the Future of Jobs programme.
The HSA’s long-term vision to enable “healthy, safe and productive lives and enterprises” is being met over the course of the three years 2019–2021 through the following five strategic priorities:
- Increase focus on compliance through risk based inspection and enforcement (Regulate)
- Support, educate and raise awareness to prevent accidents, injuries and ill health (Promote)
- Grow the National Accreditation service to enable and support enterprises and public services (Accredit)
- Partner and collaborate in support of healthy, safe and productive lives and enterprises (Influence)
- Improve the way we work through people, processes and technology (How we work)
Read the HSA’s Programme of Work 2021 in full here: https://www.hsa.ie/eng/