14 Aug Guidance on asbestos
New guidance on asbestos containing materials in the workplace provide practical advice to employers and those in control of workplaces on the necessary precautions to prevent exposure to asbestos fibres or, where this is not reasonably practicable, to reduce exposure to asbestos fibres.
The comprehensive practical guidelines running to over 140 pages deal with:
- What is asbestos
- Asbestos in buildings
- What are the health effects?
- Risk from Asbestos and Asbestos containing Materials [ACMs]
- The law relating to Asbestos
- Risk Assessment of ACMS
- Managing ACMS
- Asbestos surveys
- Training instruction and information
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Lower risk work with ACMs
- Work with higher risk asbestos containing materials
- Role of the independent competent analyst
- Plans of work
- Health surveillance and registers
- Notification to the Health and Safety Authority
- Management and disposal of ACMS
- References and further information
- The appendices cover photographic examples of ACMs, asbestos cement, other ACMs – specific guidance, other analytical methods and water absorption test protocol, template for certificate of reoccupation and a priority assesssment example for an asbestos cement roof on a 1970’s classroom.
Download the guidance document Asbestos-containing Materials in Workplaces – Practical Guidelines on ACM Management and Abatement