All Ireland Safety Quiz – Criteria for Entry and Rules
The Health and Safety Quiz will be held as a table quiz [no individual questions] at both Regional / NI and All Ireland levels.
- Previous Entrants Category
- Novices Category
Quiz Categories: Criteria for entry
Teams may include:
- Individuals who have never participated in the competition before. OR
- Individuals who have not participated in either category of the quiz for the past 5 years. OR
- Individuals who participated in the competition in the Novice Category but never won the Regional / Northern Ireland finals or participated in the All Ireland finals.
Previous Entrants Category
- Individuals participating as part of a quiz team may only be part of a winning All Ireland Final on two consecutive occasions and and may no longer participate in the competition for a further two consecutive years.
Please note that changes to the entry rules are retrospective.
Eligibility to enter either Quiz Categories
Professional health and safety managers, specialists, officers, or similar roles, and NISO/NISG Committee members may not participate in the quiz as a team member but their assistance with the management or coaching of teams would be appreciated.
In the event of a team member or members being unable to participate in the All Ireland Finals, organisations are allowed make one substitution provided the new team member satisfies the rules under the relevant category of competition.
If a winning regional team is unable to proceed to the All Ireland Finals, the relevant regional committee may exercise their right to nominate the next placed team to participate in the All Ireland Finals.
Eight rounds of eight questions (64 questions) for Previous Entrants and eight rounds of six questions (48 questions) for New Entrants [All Ireland Finals]
How are the questions sourced?
Many of the safety questions will be sourced from the NISO quiz book. The balance of the questions may be taken from a number of reliable sources and will comprise of health/safety/welfare questions [No general knowledge questions will be asked at the All Ireland finals]. Questions from the book may be rephrased.
The last two questions (for Previous Entrants) in each round may not be taken from the quiz book. Some of the questions through the competition may also be taken from a reliable source.
We recognise that some of the questions from the Book of Safety Questions and Answers may be obsolete or dated. NISO / NISG will endeavour not to use such questions.
Updated January 2014
Reviewed: March 2017
Additional Safety Quiz Rules for 2022
You are probably aware that the following NISO/NISG Safety Quizzes were cancelled over the past two years:
- All Ireland Safety Quiz Finals 2021
- Regional Safety Quizzes 2021
- All Ireland Safety Quiz Finals 2020
- Regional Safety Quiz 2020 (certain ROI regions only)
Therefore NISO/NISG have introduced additional rules for the 2022 Safety Quiz Regional Heats and Finals:
Teams* who won their respective categories (previous entrants and novices) in the Regional Safety Quiz Heats 2020 (where held) may:
- take part in the Regional / Northern Ireland heats in Spring 2022 in a non competitive manner (practice run only – the scores and placings of these teams will not be used to determine the winning regional / Northern Ireland winner). No quiz fee will apply for applicable organisations (ROI entries only).
- proceed to the All Ireland Finals 2022 on 14 May 2022 in the category that they entered in 2020. Teams must book directly with their respective organisation (NISO/NISG) to ensure they are entered in the competition.
* There must be at least 50 per cent of the individuals on the team that won their respective categories in 2020.
All other teams participate on the basis that there may be additional teams in their category or from the same region / N.I. that had won a regional heat / N.I. entry in 2020.
The overall winner of the Safety Quiz finals in each of the two categories will be determined by the team who achieves the highest score.