06 Nov Watch out for Thursdays in November!
Thursdays in November are the most common days for workplace accidents.
Thursday is the most likely day of the week for workplace accidents, resulting in employer liability awards, according to an analysis of 2013 workplace claims released by the Injuries Board today, Thursday, 6 November 2014
The Injuries Board awarded compensation of €24m in respect of 826 claims for workplace accidents in 2013, compared to €22m compensation for 807 awards in 2012. The average award for a workplace accident last year also increased from €27,286 in 2012 to €28,886 in 2013. The highest award for a workplace accident last year was €432,000, a substantial increase on the previous year’s figure of €332,143. The highest award in 2013 related to a fatal accident.
Commenting on these figures, Patricia Byron, CEO of the Injuries Board, noted the increasing numbers in employment as the economic recovery gathers pace. “From a peak rate of unemployment in 2012, increasing numbers of workers are re-joining the workforce. Perhaps reflective of this, our data shows a year on year increase in the number of awards made as a result of accidents in the workplace. As the economy starts to grow again, and as businesses around the country begin to expand, it is important that a renewed focus on health and safety is cultivated.”
Continuing, Ms. Byron said “Construction activities are likely to increase, as are the numbers of people driving for, or to and from, work. The onus is on us all – business owners, sole traders, and employees to promote and adhere to the highest levels of health and safety compliance. While we do not tend to receive many claims for injuries resulting from farming accidents as, in the main, most farmers are their own employers, we are particularly cognisant of the high levels of accidents in the farming industry and echo the advice and concerns of the Health & Safety Authority. Those driving for a living, or workers commuting long distances, should heed the advice of agencies such as the Road Safety Authority. As the economy grows, the health and well-being of workers needs to be at the fore to mitigate the social and economic cost of accidents in the workplace.”
Key statistics from the Injuries Board analysis of employer liability awards in 2013 are as follows:
- Slips, trips and falls were the most common accident type accounting for almost one third (30.8%) of all awards for workplace accidents.
- The vast majority of awards (80%) were under €38,000.
- The average award for a workplace accident was €28,886. The average award for men was slightly higher at €29,523, while women received an average award of €27,441.
- The majority of awards were to workers in the 25 to 34 age group (31.6%).
- Men are twice as likely as women to sustain a workplace injury with men accounting for 7 in 10 awards (69.4%), slightly up on last year, while women accounted for the remaining 3 in 10 (30.6%) awards.
- Over the last three years, Thursdays in November have proven to be the most common days for workplace accidents while the least number of accidents occurred on Sunday, and the safest month was April.
- Dublin, Cork and Limerick were the counties with the highest number of awards, whereas Leitrim, Roscommon, Sligo and Longford had the lowest.