Manual Handling Instruction 6S0242
Click here to view dates and book online
This course meets the framework standards of Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI, previously known as FETAC). It’s a level 6 Specific Purpose Award.
This is a five day course that runs over a 2 week period – typically Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday of the first week and Monday, Tuesday of the second week.
Participants on the course are trained to conduct Manual Handling Risk Assessments and deliver Manual Handling Training both in-company and externally.
Instructional skills as well as the theoretical and practical aspects of manual handling are addressed.
- To instruct others on the theory and techniques of safe manual handling;
- To conduct manual handling task risk assessments related to the organisations needs;
- To recommend preventative measures, in order to eliminate or reduce the associated risks of injury while carrying out manual handling tasks;
- To comply with the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act, 2005 and the Safety, Health and Welfare at work (General Application) Regulations 2007
Who should attend?
Those wishing to attain the skills and knowledge required to be able to develop and deliver manual handling sessions in their workplace or in-company.
Those who have already completed the VDU/DSE Assessor course. Participants who complete the two courses at NISO within a calendar year receive a discount. Please email info[at]niso.ie for more details of the scheme.)
- Legislation and health benefits pertaining to manual handling
- Anatomy and back care
- Ergonomic principles and risk assessments
- Manual handling principles and techniques
- Planning and design of manual handling training techniques
- Delivery of manual handling training programmes
A practical and highly interactive approach is used throughout the course.
When theory is introduced, it’s applied to practical situations encountered by the participants.
A variety of training aids are used.
- This course is taught and evaluated in English: it requires a good general command of the language, both written and oral.
- Participants should specify if they have any special needs when booking the course.
- Participants are required to demonstrate lifting techniques: they must be physically capable of lifting in order to participate in the course.
- Participants need to bring their PPS number an their date of birth to register with QQI (previously was FETAC)
Participants are required to:
- Sit a written exam
- Sit a practical exam
- Complete an assignment in their own time.
To book your place, please select the course you are interested in:
It’s recommended for manual handling instructor to use training aids and props:
- To show learners how the spine works and what can go wrong when talking about anatomy
- To show learners the way we use our bodies.
These aids can be bought from NISO separately or bundled together for a discount.
In addition, learners on our Manual Handling Instructors course receive a 10% discount when buying within a month of completing the course at NISO.
Members of NISO avail of discounts on courses
To be kept informed of our activities, you can Register Now