Role and Services
NISO is working to help organisations reduce the number of fatalities and injuries that happen in Irish workplaces each year.
We promote, through various activities, the positive role that companies can play when they adopt a proactive approach to health and safety. The All Ireland Safety Awards is an example of this. Organised in conjunction with the Northern Ireland Safety Group, the scheme recognises and recompenses excellence in health and safety practices.
We provide a platform to exchange ideas and information in the area of health and safety for our members, within the organisation and outside, with governmental and statutory bodies as well as trade unions and trade organisations.
As a voluntary independent body with charitable status, NISO complements the information provided by the Health and Safety Authority, the Irish statutory public body responsible for the promotion and enforcement of occupational safety and health.
NISO is over fifty years old. We implement our mission in practical ways to remain valid and relevant:
- With a not-for-profit ethos, an autonomous and wholly Irish operation
- To disseminate new safety policy and regulations
- To be of service to our members with an engaged and committed member network
- By promoting a safety culture through a series of events such as the All Ireland Safety Awards, the Safety Conference and seminars and workshops, some in collaboration with other organisations such as the Health and Safety Authority
- With the commitment and leadership of the Executive Committee and the regional network of volunteers
- With the contribution of NISO’s secretariat in Dublin
- By developing new training courses and services to train new generations of health and safety professionals
- By nurturing strong links with the Health and Safety Authority, The Irish Congress of Trade Union and Ibec
- By collaborating with the Northern Ireland Safety group (NISG) for the All Ireland Safety Awards and the All Ireland Quiz
- By developing strategic alliances with commercial organisations to tackle specific safety and health at work campaigns
By providing a quality service with a smile to our members, clients and other health and safety stakeholders.
- We develop training courses that meet QQI standards (previously known as FETAC) and its Quality Assurance criteria as well as other courses that fulfill market requirements;
- We organise training courses both in house and in-company facilitated by experienced instructors active in their field of expertise;
- We keep our membership abreast of the latest news and developments in Health and Safety with regular communications;
- We organise events
- We publish, for our members, a quarterly e-magazine, NISO Update, that features articles from industry leaders and discusses topical health and safety issues. Here is a sample copy of the spring 2016 issue (It’s a 1mb pdf file):
To help us help you make Irish workplaces safer: